Skinny Stuffed Peppers
5 Large Green Bell Peppers
1.25 Lb. Lean Turkey Sausage – 5 Links (Casing Removed)
1/2 Medium Onion, Diced
5 Garlic Cloves, Minced
28 Oz. Crushed Tomatoes, No Salt Added
1/2 Tsp. Dried Basil
1/2 Tsp. Dried Parsley
1/2 C. Instant Brown Rice, Uncooked
10 Tbsp. Reduced Fat Italian Blend Cheese, Shredded
Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Cut the tops off the peppers and set aside.
- Use a spoon to hollow out the insides of the peppers, removing the seeds and veins as best you can.
- Place the cleaned out peppers into the crock pot with about 1-2 inches of water inside at the bottom of a large (7-8 qt.) slow cooker.
- Brown the sausage, onion and garlic until cooked through. Then add the crushed tomatoes and seasonings and combine with uncooked rice.
- Place the tops of peppers back on and cook on high 6-8, low 4-6
- Once done remove tops and put 2 tbsp cheese on top replace lid and cook 3-5 minutes.
Zucchini Cheesy Bread
3 medium zucchinis, or about 4 cups grated zucchini
2 large eggs
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
3 c. shredded mozzarella, divided
1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan
1/4 c. cornstarch
kosher salt Freshly ground black pepper
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
2 tsp. Freshly Chopped Parsley
Marinara, for dipping
- Preheat oven to 425º and line a baking sheet with parchment. On a box grater or in a food processor, grate zucchini. Using cheesecloth or a dish towel, wring excess moisture out of zucchini.
- Transfer zucchini to a large bowl with eggs, garlic, oregano, 1 cup mozzarella, Parmesan, and cornstarch and season with salt and pepper. Stir until completely combined.
- Transfer “dough” to prepared baking sheet and pat into a crust. Bake until golden and dried out, 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2 cups mozzarella, crushed red pepper flakes, and parsley and bake until cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- Slice and serve with marinara.