One of the best things about getting your hair done at a salon is the scalp massage. It is a simple technique where you knead soft tissues in the body that helps create a calming effect and remove tension. Because the scalp is filled with nerve endings, a good scalp massage will stimulate your nervous system.
A scalp massage is also a fantastic way to reduce stress. It boosts your mood and sense of well-being by working on serotonin and dopamine–hormones that enhance those “feel good” emotions. It also helps by reducing cortisol–a stress-related hormone that leaves us feeling down and contributes to belly-fat weight gain. So, yes, a scalp massage can help to manage your weight too.
Additional Benefits to a scalp massage:
- Stimulates blood flow to and from the skin, increasing the oxygen supply to your scalp.
- Cleanses the hair and scalp of oils, dirt, and bacteria.
- Lubricates the scalp, creating healthy hair and promote growth.
- When rubbing the hair from roots to tip, it can also stimulate the hair’s growth and vitality.
- It soothes a dry, itchy scalp by conditioning it, preventing a dry scalp.
- It leaves your hair softer and more radiant by spreading natural oils, making it easier to style.
- It prevents hair follicle damage from the sun, or chemical treatments by improving resiliency over time.
- It just feels good and relaxing!