Is your makeup expired?
Ever pull out an old tube of lipstick and wonder how long you’ve had it and is it safe to use? Here are a few guidelines to follow.
1. Mascara should be thrown out every 2-3 months. It is the top bacteria container in your makeup bag. Because it is liquid and the brush is removed in and out of its tube frequently it harbors many bacteria cells.
2. Foundation lasts a bit longer, up to 6 months. Some powders can go for a year if you keep your brushes cleaned daily. But again with liquids bacteria can easily grow and spoil your foundation.
3. Eye shadows and eyeliners should be tossed every 3 months because they are used so close to your eyes. If you ever experience any eye irritation throw out all eye makeup immediately and clean or purchase new applicators.
4. Lip sticks and glosses can last up to a year but should be tossed sooner if you have any break outs with cold sores.
5. Last are your makeup brushes and applicators. They should be cleaned regularly and tossed when frayed or misshapen.